John G. Carlson - Member of TSI Advisory Team
John Carlson is an experienced operating executive with a strong financial background who supports other executives and boards through leadership and consultative roles:
- Building recurring revenues and monetizing corporate assets of all kinds
- Developing corporate strategies and business plans and facilitating their execution
- Improving operations at the process, systems and culture levels
Accomplishments / Business Impact:
For more than thirty years, John has built, led, assessed and supported companies, stabilized and fixed crisis situations, and managed enterprise-wide programs to drive revenue and profitability:
- CEO, President or COO -- four times, three with venture capital-backed firms
- CFO – three times, including once with a publicly-traded company
- Global financial / operational executive with Fortune 500 firm (General Instrument)
- Contributed to: (1) four turnarounds, (2) operational improvement at two firms, (3) revenue growth at three firms, and (4) business set-up at three firms in advance of CEO hire
- Key role in high-valuation exits at Tessera (IPO in 2003) and NeoNova (M & A in 2013)
In industries as diverse as software, medical devices, semiconductors, telecom, cable, healthcare services and education services -- developing business models and service delivery platforms inclusive of Cloud managed services, Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), Intellectual property licensing and Subscription based services.
John’s management career began at General Instrument where he was VP Finance & Controller of its Power Semiconductor Division with manufacturing based in Asia. John led a Quality Improvement program, which included process-mapping and revamping the company’s global supply chain.
Recent Professional Experience:
During 2014, John completed IP / Business Assessments of software firms for the Massachusetts Capital Growth Corporation (MGCC) and he served as Interim CEO of Twin Cities-based Reflection Sciences, an ed-tech start-up spun-out of the University of Minnesota. John previously held a leadership role with Raleigh-based NeoNova Network Services, where he was brought on by Azure Capital in 2009 to help stabilize, reposition, and structure this Cloud-services and Google Apps reseller over a 14-month period. John remained on NeoNova’s Board until June 2013 when an exit was achieved.
Leadership & Management Skills:
- Ability to engage in any business situation to rapidly assess and improve operations
- Strong motivator and team-builder who connects well with people at every level
- Helps rethink assumptions, ways of doing business, and goals that can be achieved
- Execution abilities emphasize accountability, measurement, and iterative task completion
- Information technology experience covers software development, applications, management systems, and Cloud-based services from enterprise and consumer perspectives
John earned his MBA in Finance from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and his BA in Political Science from Bucknell University. He also co-authored a business book published by Wiley. John operates across the tech. centers of the U.S bringing his extensive experiences and contacts from an array of industries to any engagement.